Although a fatal dose of paracetamol is usually over 20 grams, a 1998 article in the British Medical Journal reports that patients also died after ingesting 10 grams and 15 grams. Although paracetamol is a common medication, it is important to use it with care.
Lower doses can still cause significant liver damage that may require swift emergency treatment or, in severe cases, liver transplant. Drugs.com advises never exceeding a dose of 4 grams in 24 hours or 2 grams if a person drinks more than three standard units of alcohol a day. Because paracetamol is found in so many combination medicines, it is important to check packaging carefully to avoid inadvertent overdosing.